Literary criticism unites creativity and science. A professional literary critic knows how to write interestingly about books, he knows a lot about literature. In contrast to the gray university professors who have been teaching for half a century. When you want to learn about novelties of the literature, you do not write out thick magazines, but turn to the Internet.
Many sites and forums offer readers to express their views on the book read. Share your own impressions. If in your text there is nothing but impressions, this will be a reader’s review. If you are determined to become a critic or a professional reader who writes competent reviews, you must learn to analyze.
How to write a book review
If you still consider peer review as an uncomplicated entertainment, “keep your illusions if you can.” Because for a competent review you need to analyze the book on such items:
– Subjects and problems. Roughly speaking, what problems and what topic is the story about?
– Pathos and genre. That is the author’s attitude to his own story. The writer jokes, sneers, dramatizes, or maybe tries to frighten the reader? Based on this, we can talk about the genre.
– Title. Usually it has a symbolic meaning, and as you read it, you understand its depth (or its absence). The exception is entertaining, mass literature, for which the name is one of the sales tools.
– Composition and composition techniques. On which parts you can divide the text, how they are located.
– Style of the author, artistic techniques, images. What is the individual signature of the author?
– Character of the characters, their development and motivation. Heroes should not remain static. Evaluate how the author outlined the characters, whether they changed during the narrative. Was the writer able to create living, believable images.
– Conflict. This point is closely connected with the composition, problems and characters. Often the basis of the narrative is a clash of interests or a dramatic conflict.
In other words, to write a review, you need to understand the writer’s cuisine, “how is made” a novel or story. And when you figure it out, you can formulate your opinion, discuss the merits and demerits of the book. All these points are closely related, so they analyze them, taking into account the relationship.